Edmond, OK asked in Bankruptcy for Oklahoma

Q: I'm nearly 3 years into chapter 13. My wife just had a kid but insurance didn't cover enough, I now have a $4K bill. ..

I was told that I could get into additional medical debt without court permission. Should I be signing up for the 2 year, 150/month payment plan or contacting lawyers to get it included into bankruptcy or ...?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd Laster
Todd Laster
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you have an attorney representing you in your bankruptcy you should contact them about this issue. Chapter 13 Debtors are generally ordered not to incur debt without court approval however, there is an exception for necessary medical treatment. The debt is generally not included in the bankruptcy if it was incurred after the case was filed. The creditor cannot force you make payments while you are in an active Ch. 13 where the automatic stay is in effect. You should contact your bankruptcy attorney about this issue as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.