North Hollywood, CA asked in Probate for Nevada

Q: A man died in Pahrump, found by roommate of 20 yrs. No will or trust found. Family notified by county admin but deceased

told many people including his CPA of 15 yrs that he didn't want his stuff going to family he disowned 30 yrs prior. Roommate is listed as beneficiary on at least one bank account. Can he and friends contest the probated estate going to his family? Roommate has also been locked out of the home they shared and the mailbox.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: As to property with a payable on death beneficiary, that property will go to the payable on death beneficiary. As to all other property it will go the closest relative(s) who are related by blood. The Decedent could have disowned his family in a properly executed Will but in the absence of a Will, the Decedent's oral wishes are not going to control. At least that is the traditional law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.