Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Jonathan Craig Reed

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: I and my kids were given 2 vehicles and a Fifth Wheel by my ex-significant other/dear friend 2 days before he passed.

Without signed titles, but with witnesses to the gift and an audio recording can we enter the probate process?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on May 22, 2019

I don't think it looks good unless you can get his intestate heirs (the people who would inherit in the absence of a will) to agree that you may have the property. Then you could do a probate with the intestate heirs doing what is called a Re-Assignment to you. Maybe another lawyer will have a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: After probate is closed how long does an attorney have to send out payment from estate sale?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on May 8, 2019

I personally try to send out checks to the beneficiaries on the same day that the probate closes if the money has been sitting in my trust account.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: In Nevada are non-probatable assets included in determining the size/value of an estate?

In Nevada my fathers estate is upward of $300,000. with real property. the properties are all deeded upon death to me, as are all his vehicles and bank accounts. He does have many investments that he has not discussed much so i don't know how they are handled.

it is my understanding that... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on May 6, 2019

The probate estate includes those items that have a title and can't be transferred from the deceased without a court order. Property in joint tenancy (where one joint tenant is still alive), or held with a transfer on death deed, or bank accounts payable on death are NOT in the probate estate. So,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law, Municipal Law and Probate for Nevada on

Q: I'm a personal representative on will and sole beneficiary on will. Do I still have to file with courts Reno NV

Owes back taxes and past debts are on his credit report and future bills there is no money or assets to pay them. What I'm supposed to do?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Feb 22, 2019

Unless there is some other reason you are liable for the Decedent's debts (for example, you co-signed for a loan) if the estate has negative value and if you have not received money from the Decedent due to Decedent's death in a non-probate transfer, then you can just walk away and do nothing. As... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: My grandfather passed away in Nevada, no surviving spouse. He had two daughters.

My mother( his daughter) is deceased and my surviving aunt. My mother had three children, one is deceased, the other wants nothing to do with my grandfather's estate and the other child is me. What will be the intestate distribution in Nevada?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Feb 20, 2019

50% will to your mother's descendants. If your deceased sibling left children, 1/3 of your mother's share will go to those children equally. If your deceased sibling died without leaving any descendants, one half of your mother's 50% share goes to you and the other surviving sibling who is free to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Nevada on

Q: can affidavit of survivorship apply to only child living with parent alone? or is intestate succession mandatory?

My mom died intestate when I was 17. I am her only child and she was a widow her only living next of kin is her brother. I am trying to avoid going through the court since washoe county doesn't want to let me file everything with the court on my own but hire an attorney instead. I realize that... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Feb 10, 2019

You can't get title with an affidavit. You will need to do a probate. The proper value of the estate is the value of the home at the time of your mother's death which is probably a lot less than the current value. The Court will accept the value and the website usually lets... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: Does NRS 134.160 apply to my situation?

NRS 134.160  Kindred of half blood.  Kindred of the half blood inherit equally with those of the whole blood in the same degree, unless the inheritance comes to the decedent by descent or devise from an ancestor, in which case all those who are not of the blood of the ancestor are... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Feb 2, 2019

The easy answer is that if the house was truly held in joint tenancy by Mom and Dad, Dad owns the whole house upon Mom's death. (You or your lawyer can file an Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant with attached death certificates on both to move the ownership from joint to your father's estate.)... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: For probate, can you use the assessed value of a home or do you have to use the market value?

For the purpose of determining the probate procedure to use, do you have to use the amount it states is the market value of the home or can you use the assessed value?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Feb 1, 2019

The courts will not accept the County Assessor's value. They will accept evaluation and the proper evaluation is the date of death evaluation. Zillow has a tool that lets you get the value for any month going back several years. evaluations don't take into account the... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nevada on

Q: What do I do if my parents died w/out a will, I am the only child & the only estate is a house and no debt?

Parents had no will. I am only child. No debts exist. Only thing to go through probate is the home they owned outright. The home is valued at $115,000

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jan 31, 2019

It would be a cheaper and simpler probate process if you could get the value of the house down to no more than $100,000 so you could do a set-aside--assuming you could truthfully state under penalty of perjury that all known debts have been paid.

You can do the evaluation at the...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Nevada on

Q: Dad died with a will in Las Vegas on Nov. 10, 2018. He had a will that we haven't seen.

Stepmother/Father bought house together three years ago in vegas and she may have been his beneficiary for his 401k but we would like to see the will because he previously told me we were mentioned in it for when she dies.

Haven't seen online any filing of the will with the courts or... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jan 2, 2019

If your dad and his wife bought a house together they likely bought it as joint tenants meaning that if one of them dies, the other becomes the owner. You can go the Clark County Recorder's website (if the house was in Clark County, NV) and search by address or name or Assessors Parcel Number.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: Can I file for set aside without admin myself for our home deeded in my wife's previous name? And take over the mortgage

All other assets jointly owned and property less mortgage is under$ 100,000

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Dec 26, 2018

The mortgage company may have a right to call the mortgage as the original owner is no longer the owner. However, the estate does qualify for a set-aside in Nevada based on the facts you have provided. You have a legal right to try to do this yourself, but most people will need to hire a lawyer. If... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Nevada on

Q: I need to hire representatives to guide and adjudicate probate for my father who passed on the 8 Dec. Do you help?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Dec 22, 2018

Our firm does uncontested probates at discounted rates through out Nevada if the are Set Asides, Summary Administration or General Administration. These terms are explained on our website,

If the probate is contested (because family members are fighting) you want to...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: My cousin died in NV without a will, only relatives are cousins. We were contacted by probate research firms.

I understand that the estate would have to go through probate and that an attorney is advisable. How is it that research firms get involved? Are they assigned by the County or State, or do they pursue heirs based on their research of County death records for their own interests? Do you advise the... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Dec 5, 2018

If you can determine where the asset is w/o a "research firm" you don't need to pay them. The Las Vegas (Clark County) probate judge does not approve of fees over 10% to a research firm. You can Google around until you get to the State Treasurer's unclaimed property website. There may even be a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: Probate-filing Will w/Court (NV Rev Stat 136.050) - is a form required or can executor simply give Will to court clerk

Given tight timeframe to file Will with the Court, is there a formal process or can executor attend with original will personally and submit it to clerk without formality.

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Sep 25, 2018

The Clerk's office will be happy to take an original will from you if you advise that the person who wrote the will has died and simply hand it to them along with the filing fee. In Clark County (home to Las Vegas) the filing fee is $18. However, they will not accept a copy for filing.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: Husband has passed, resident of Nevada. Assets & home are jointly held. Do I need a probate lawyer?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Sep 13, 2018

Provided that the home is held in joint tenancy and ditto for other assets, you own everything without probate. Your phrase "jointly held" can be tricky. Unless the deed to the home contains the words, "joint tenancy" or "with right of survivorship" half of the home will have to thru probate. (I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: I have searched and searched and can't find this answer: where do investments with no brick-and-mortar home vest

If a person owns property in two states, which one has jurisdiction over intestate investment accounts

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jul 10, 2018

Investments are considered "personal property" as contrasted with real estate or "real property." All personal property, wherever located, should be probated--if probate is necessary--in the state the Decedent was a resident of when he died. For this reason probate courts look at the Decedent's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: Why must a Timeshare be Probated in Nevada when the Owner was never a resident of Nevada?

I inherited these Timeshares and was told the only way to get rid of them is to have them Probated through a Nevada Court. The original owner was never a resident of Nevada. The timeshare Main Office is in Florida. The Will states that I inherit any Real Property. To my understanding that is... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jul 9, 2018

Unfortunately, Nevada takes the position that the timeshares are real property (real estate) not personal property. The deed probably has an Assessor's Parcel Number on it and was recorded as a deed. Nevada does not have a simple affidavit procedure for the transfer of real estate below a certain... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: My mother recently passed and has a home that was titled in a trust with a reverse mortgage does it require probate?

There is less than $70,000 in equity if we sell the home and payoff reverse mtge, no other assets - household items all to be donated to a local charity. I am the executor of the trust. Based on above information do I need to probate her estate?

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jun 23, 2018

If the house is titled in the name of the trust, you (technically the Successor Trustee rather than Executor) may sell the house (or transfer it according to what the trust says) without going through probate. Based on your question, I see no need to spend money on probate. Congratulations to your... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: A man died in Pahrump, found by roommate of 20 yrs. No will or trust found. Family notified by county admin but deceased

told many people including his CPA of 15 yrs that he didn't want his stuff going to family he disowned 30 yrs prior. Roommate is listed as beneficiary on at least one bank account. Can he and friends contest the probated estate going to his family? Roommate has also been locked out of the home... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Feb 6, 2018

As to property with a payable on death beneficiary, that property will go to the payable on death beneficiary. As to all other property it will go the closest relative(s) who are related by blood. The Decedent could have disowned his family in a properly executed Will but in the absence of a Will,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: How does Probate Court determine the sale price of a home? Can the beneficiary adjust the price?

The beneficiary wants to sell the home at less than appraisal.

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jan 29, 2018

In Nevada if the personal representative is appointed with Full Authority Under the Independent Administration of Estates Act, the personal rep sets the sales price and give notice to all beneficiaries. If anyone objects, then the following procedure is used which is also used if the personal rep.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.