North East, PA asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I get this re-instated to a full utility patent? -had no idea about the maintenance fees and it has apparently lapse

Patent #8148841

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: Fortunately, this particular error is a well-trod path and the USPTO is fairly generous in allowing you to fix this situation.

So in addition to the regular maintenance fee, and the small late fee for not paying in the first half of the year-long window, you will need to pay a fee to revive a patent unintentionally abandoned for failure to timely pay a maintenance fee. This is a $2000 extra fee but you are likely to qualify as a small entity with a 50% discount or a micro entity with a 75% discount.

The process gets more complicated if you get beyond two years after the final deadline for the fee. Your deadline was April 4, 2016 so you are coming up on that date.

NOTE -- That when you file to say that the delay is unintentional, that means that ALL the delay is unintentional. Now that you know you need to act, you need to get this fixed. You cannot wait for weeks and weeks as that part of the delay would not be unintentional.

You need to contact your patent attorney and sort out why you did not get asked about paying this fee. There are two more fees due if you want to keep your patent for the full term.

You can find additional information on the process at these two USPTO pages.

I hope this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.