East Providence, RI asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: How do I support my case to have physical placement of my child? Shared placement does not work with dads work schedule.

I supported half our income on part time and am available most days to bring/pick up our son to school. I believe it would be in the best interest for him to have physical placement with me versus what his father wants which is shared placement (50/50). However, he works full time with many times being held over at work so that 50/50 becomes 50/30/20 or similar with third party involvement.

When I’ve brought this up, I’ve been told - if on the days where Dad works but has our son, I can have the option to take him. But I I already know in advance his full time schedule, how do I continue to fight for an agreement On having physical placement since I know I’d be asked to take him all the time anyways?

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If you and your child's father cannot resolve it, work with a practicing family court attorney to help prepare to present your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.