Dunedin, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois

Q: If 2 people have a child, never married, & there is no court order can 1 parent involve the police to take the child

The father has threatened the mother with taking their daughter. There is no child custody court order. The two never married. The father has the his mother (child grandmother) petitioning for guardianship of the child and has involved the police. What are the child's mothers options?

Thanks Mr. Ray Choudhry - However the question is can the police get involved if this is a civil matter. The father is threatening police and police has made contact with mother. They left her a message telling her they would educate her on the law.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ray Choudhry

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: She needs to get a paternity case filed so the court can decide a parenting plan for the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.