Asked in Child Support, Family Law and Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: Why would a Worker’s Comp settlement not consider child support arrearage in FL?

My son’s father currently owes 20k in child support and hasn’t paid since 2010. He was hurt on the job about two years ago and is expecting a settlement. I received a call from his attorney in Nov 2017; she wanted to know if I would be willing to settle for a 6k payout and forgive the rest of the arrearage. I said no. I never heard from her again. My son’s father called recently and told me he was sending me 7k. I asked him if it was from the settlement. He told me they would not be taking the child support arrearage from his settlement. I thought it was manadstory here in FL. The Dept. of Revenue is not enforcing the order, but he’s still falling behind each month because the order is still active and he’s not paying. He told me the money is coming from a trust fund.

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Ask the Department of Revenue why.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.