Rochester, MI asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: Hello, My home is currently in foreclosure, it went to sheriffs sale 2 weeks ago, no one bought it, so it goes back to

The bank. we owe 277$. If my dad buys the home and we gift him the equity, can he legally rent us the home? And how soon, roughly, would we be able to get a new mortgage to buy him out eventually?

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: No one bought it at the sheriff's sale? This is unusual. Generally, you have 6 months from the date of the sheriff's sale to "redeem" the property. If your father buys the property, he can rent it to whomever he wants. I suggest you contact a foreclosure defense lawyer to review your situation in more detail. Regarding how soon you can get a new mortgage, that all depends on your credit. Assuming your credit is worthy enough to be approved by a lender, you can do that immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.