Montclair, CA asked in Child Custody for California

Q: How do I as a father ensure that I maintain primary custody of my six-year-old daughter when her mother and I are split

My daughter is 6 years old my ex-wife and I had her and have been living together and raising her until just recently when she had an affair and my daughter and I moved out gentleman she doesn't seem at all to have a problem with not having any custody I don't want any animosity between us about raising the child with me and her mother visiting her when at her will and I do want to be free to move to Orange County if it's okay with the mother and what kinds of things do I need to have in place so she doesn't show up and want custody I am on the birth certificate however there has not been any paternity established to look at her she's a spitting image of me but I don't know what I need to do to legally protect myself this is in no way an attempt to create an adversarial relationship with her mother

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shahnaz Hussain
Shahnaz Hussain
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should file a paternity action and then request custody and visitation orders. Do not take your time on this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.