Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: What rights does my fathers girlfriend of 15 years have to his estate?

My father passed away with a will stating “all real and personal property” to come to me. But his girlfriend of 15 years (never made legal) wants everything. What rights does she have to the house, cars etc if her name isnt on it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl R. Watkins,
Cheryl R. Watkins,
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Hi there. My condolences for the loss of your father. Estate administration is guided by many bodies of law including: the laws of wills, contract, real property, secured transactions, etc. While there is no way to conclusively answer your question without analysis of your situation, in general, how your father titled his property will be an important factor in administering his estate. I suggest you contact an attorney and begin legal proceedings without delay. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.