Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Ethan A. Trice
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina on
Q: Mom died with no legal will have half sister tht is not my biological father's daughter and she was never adopted intitl

My biological father never changed deed to property nor did my mom who has rights to property

Ethan A. Trice
Ethan A. Trice
answered on Oct 17, 2022

This very much depends on what the deed itself says. Based on how the question is worded, it sounds like the deed was in one or both of your parents' names.

How your parents owned the property matters (with the default being tenancy by the entirety for married couples). If both your...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.