Asked in Immigration Law and Traffic Tickets for Kansas

Q: What should do I do to avoid any circumstances for two traffic tickets in my next appearance in the court?

I'm F1 visa student who just moved to Missouri from Kansas state and I couldn't get a driver license from Kansas City, MO since my visa has expired. Anyway, when I was a resident in overland park, Kansas City, I had two tickets. The first one for "failure to avoid a collision" and the second one for "drive / operate motor vehicle without a valid driver's license" and "failure to drive in a single lane or signal a lane change". I was detained for the second one and asked to appear before the court for both of them and asked if I'm guilty or not for the first time. Anyway, I said not guilty since I don't know the circumstances. My questions are what should I say and what circumstances would I face in my next appearance if I said guilty?

1 Lawyer Answer
Maya King
Maya King
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • North Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Generally speaking, not knowing the law is not a defense. You should seek a traffic attorney if you don't know what to say in Court. I will also seek the advice of an immigration attorney to fix your F-1 Out of Status as soon as you can. It is not a good idea to drive without a driver's license.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.