Elizabeth, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: I am the caregiver of my 6 month baby and her father been there but can he bring her for over nite if she is so little?

And I did a verbal agreement with him but we never settle visitation. How does that works? How many days in the week I have to let him come to my house

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elena K. Weitz
Elena K. Weitz
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Overnight visitations can take place for a child 6 months old. A verbal agreement is not valid, however. You need to get everything in writing and signed by both parties. The best way to go is to have an attorney write a court order with all the terms you agree on and then both of you sign and it gets sent to the court to be signed by a judge. You can also set down who has legal and residential custody. Please think about seeing an family law attorney to do this. Your verbal agreement won’t hold up if the father decides not to follow it, it must be in writing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.