Hayward, CA asked in Domestic Violence for California

Q: I wrote a letter to the DA that I dont want to testify in a dom. violence case against my ex bf. Can I get in trouble?

what other info. can I provide you with, so you can better understand my case? I want to help him but at the same time I do not want to incriminate myself because I didn't do anything wrong. I did write a letter but I am hesitant about sending it because I don't want to have any problems with the law. Thank you.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Dale S. Gribow

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you should not get in trouble for just not wanting to testify\

more info is needed

you should have a lawyer advise the DA you are not going to testify.

1 user found this answer helpful

Shahnaz Hussain

  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you disobey a subpoena from the DA to appear at trial, you can get into trouble.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.