San Ramon, CA asked in Domestic Violence for California

Q: My exboyfriend has court on 2/20/18 for domestic violence case. I have not been summons to testify. What does it mean?

He is been accused of trying to choke me. When the police arrived the officer immediately saw the marks on my neck. I told her I didn't want to press charges but the officer said "its now me against him"

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Shahnaz Hussain

  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The DA will summon or serve you with a subpoena when and if there is a trial. They will also send an investigator before that to question you about what happened if it goes to trial. So the DA will do what they have to do when the time arrives.

1 user found this answer helpful

Dale S. Gribow

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you only have to appear if it is set for trial............

if this is 1st appearance then it is for arraignment and that is to plead guilty or not guilty

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.