Tacoma, WA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Washington

Q: I’m a father living in Washington State and I pay child support in NY. I need a lawyer should I look for one here or NY?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marc Andrew Moses
Marc Andrew Moses
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Short answer: It depends.

You wrote that you needed a lawyer, but didn't give the reason. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you're looking to modify the amount of support or other order, and if the children have been living in New York for at least the last six months, you will need an attorney licensed to practice in New York to handle the case there, because New York has jurisdiction over the children. There may be exceptions: If the children have been living in Washington State for at least the past six months, you may transfer the case here. Another reason a case may be filed in Washington may be in the case of an emergency, such as domestic violence or if the child is otherwise in danger. There are other factors to consider whether you must use a New York attorney for your case in New York, or if you can use a Washington attorney to bring your case here.

As you can see, the answer depends on your specific situation. I recommend that you consult with a family law attorney to discuss the details of your particular issues, since every situation is different.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.