Springfield, MA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Massachusetts

Q: Is there anything I can do if DCF is threatening to force me to live with my other biological parent?

I'm 17 years old. I don't wish to have any contact with my biological father for personal reasons I believe are valid. In early 2017, my parents went to court about visitation and I won so, I haven't been forced to visit, talk, etc...with him. Recently, he called DCF on my mother about my brother being home schooled and about my absences from school. My mother won the case about my brother, but with me, it has become complicated. I live with depression and this year has been a challenge. At first, I wasn't showing up to school because the anti-depressants I was taking were making me feel worse. I stopped taking them per my therapist's recommendation, but things weren't getting better. I've been coming to school 2nd period vs 1st because getting up in the morning has been difficult. They are accusing my mother of neglect. I've been trying my best to get to school on time and it's been getting better. What should I do if they still decide to try and take me away? What if I run away?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: it looks like you need to promptly be seen by your pediatrician and/or psychiatrist concerning the medications not bringing you relief and the absence of medication is apparently worsening how you are feeling. Your failure to attend school on time is an indice of neglect which needs to be addressed as soon as possible or a custodial change is possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.