Elyria, OH asked in Libel & Slander for Ohio

Q: Will i have a difficult case to make against a bully suing me for defamation if I mentioned what he did to me in a book?

He called me a racial slur in high school and I wanted to put his name and what he did in the dedication section of a book I want to publish. We were the only witnesses in the situation and I haven't spoken to him since high school. I also kept the situation to myself because of how much it hurt me. So its more or less his word against mine he could have forgotten about it by now, even though I didn't. I still want to mention it because its important and was a good motivator for me to become successful but I also don't want to get my future publishing company in legal trouble or owe a lot of money for his damage of reputation if he wins.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It would be difficult for him to make out a case for defamation, but he could sue you and make your life miserable for a while. Have you considered telling the story and just changing his name?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.