Ohio Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

Q: lawyer to sue my ex for the mental distress mental disturbance emotional harm mental anguish mental suffering ect

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 4, 2019
Peter N. Munsing's answer
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this. You have a case but.....the problem is that homeowners won't cover intentional acts, and if there is no insurance unless he's worth a lot of money you will get a piece of paper saying you are entitled to money--but he won't be able to pay it. The only plus is that as intentional acts they aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I know that's not at all "justice" but it's like being mugged by a wino--you have a case but after spending...

Q: Someone said I stole from them and forged a check of theirs. I didn't do this. Can I get them for slander?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 28, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
You can file a lawsuit against anyone for any reason, whether you will win is a different story. Generally, defamation (slander and libel) require that you prove the things is false, and damaged your reputation costing you money.

Q: Superintendent is threatening to file a lawsuit against me for slander. If the statements are true how can he sue me

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 8, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
Well...he would need to claim that the statements are false. You can pretty much sue someone over anything, how successful your suit will be depends on the truth and evidence.

Q: A family member said I stole from him. I didn't do this. Do I have enough to file slander charges against him?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 1, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
That would be a civil claim, not criminal. So you can't file charges. But you can file a lawsuit. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and consult a local attorney who handles litigation.

Q: no lease contract. Moved in put 9k into the place make it livable. Agree upon terms were 300 a month it's now 500?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Answered on Sep 11, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
It's only slander if you file a lawsuit and a court agrees that it is. Do you plan to file a lawsuit? That could be an expensive process, and take months. Otherwise, tell the future landlord the full story. Without any kind of written contract for the work you did, and no written lease, it would be difficult for you to defend against an eviction. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local attorney to assist you.

Q: Is it legal to write letters to people about what someone did to me like stealing from me?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Aug 29, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
It is legal to tell people the truth. It is not a crime. A civil protection order, however, does not actually require a crime. A person may seek court protection without having to prove a crime, if he or she can show a pattern of harassment.

Q: My wife is looking to leave and is spreading lies about me.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 22, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
The court can issue an order not to make any statements about each other. During the divorce, if one spouse has made false statements relevant in the divorce, the other spouse can give testimony and evidence to refute those statements. Until a divorce is filed, it is more difficult to stop such statements. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce attorney who can review the situation with you and discuss your options.

Q: Can i sue a patients family member for saying i was under the influence.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 26, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
Use the Find a lawyer tab to consult a local litigation attorney to review the facts and advise you.

Q: Will i have a difficult case to make against a bully suing me for defamation if I mentioned what he did to me in a book?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 20, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
It would be difficult for him to make out a case for defamation, but he could sue you and make your life miserable for a while. Have you considered telling the story and just changing his name?

Q: Yes i was staying with some peaple i thought was my friends but have been robbing me for years and i was month to month

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Landlord - Tenant, Libel & Slander and Social Security for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 19, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
File a police report. They might help. Or contact your local legal aid, or sue the landlord in small claims court for wrongful eviction and the value of your things and the cost to find alternate living arrangements.

Q: If I send a letter to my mom and her husbands church with information on them, can they sue me? The church should know.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Civil Litigation for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 5, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
Anyone can sue anybody for anything. So yes, they can sue you, and a court could order you to pay them significant monetary damages.

Q: I was in a car accident a few days ago. I was at fault. Both parties stated no injury.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Jan 17, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Let your insurance handle it. They are pros. I'll note that often people don't feel pain after the wreck because of adrenalin, they are freaked out and want to get home, etc. So it's not necessarily bogus, and your insurance company is very used to denying claims they think are inflated so leave it to them.

Q: I was previously pulled over for a traffic violation. Which lead to my car being searched because of a weed smell.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Traffic Tickets for Ohio on
Answered on Dec 20, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer
It sounds to me like he forgot to bag the roach. It doesn't mean anything really.

Q: My doctor office dismissed me as a patient for argumentative language. I was just persistent and sought correct info

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Health Care Law and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Aug 3, 2017
Joseph Jaap's answer
Depending on the reason your medical information was released, it could be a HIPAA violation. Find out what was released and to whom. If not proper, then you would need to consult a local attorney to review all the facts and determine if you have any claims. Use the Find a Lawyer tab.

Q: Can I be sued from someone outside the US?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, International Law and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 6, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer
Free speech protections do not apply to defamation, and opinions are not defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact (not opinion) that damages a person's reputation. If I say John the surgeon is the worst, I am not uttering defamation because that's my opinion of John. If say John the surgeon left a scalpel in my body, and it is not true, that is defamation.

In all likelihood, a person living in Spain would sue you in Spanish courts because the damage done to their reputation...

Q: Arrangement leading to agreement of leaving my pers. prop. (set period) to obtain later. He refuse to contact, or return

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 28, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer
Have you called the police? Have you considered hiring a lawyer to write a demand letter and potentially file a complaint?

Q: I am on Ohio Mediciad. I am being forced out of the nursing home by the Area on Aging to a group home. Can they do this?

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Ohio on
Answered on Jan 25, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
You have two issues. One is a claim against the city or the owner of the property.You need to contact a member of the Ohio Assn for Justice in your area --they give free consultations. You can explain your injuries. You then can ask about this issue but I don't see that they can do much in that regard because Medicaid regulations say if you don't need skilled nursing around the clock you go to another level of facility. You may want to look at public housing if that's an option.

Q: I'm an ex felon, and my mother in law keeps slandering me to my neighbors and my wife's employers. what can I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Jul 6, 2016
Matthew Williams' answer
If what she is saying is merely the truth about your past, you can't do anything. Truth is an absolute defense to defamation.

Q: Do I have any recourse when my ex (his father) falsely accuses me of molesting my son?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Apr 18, 2016
Matthew Williams' answer
A defamation lawsuit requires three things: a lie someone is likely to have believed, publication, and damages resulting from the lie. Publication means letting a third-party know. Damages are where you will likely have a problem. If you were fired because of this, you might have a case, but there really isn't much here to prove you were damaged.

Q: I am being defamed by a store owner in Elyria Ohio, what are my options?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 1, 2016
Matthew Williams' answer
You don't have many good options here. Is this not something you two can work out?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.