Washington, DC asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for District of Columbia

Q: Can an inmate file for a protection order if his accuser is harassing him?

My son was found guilty and sent to jail because of his accuser testimony. After he was sent to jail the woman kept scheduling visit to come see him just to block others from coming. She kept sending letters and messages to different family member of his. She has even tried to have all of my mail forwarded from my house to a different address by lying on a USPS mail forwarding application stating she lived at my address and moved. Recently, she sent my son a letter because he wouldn't respond to her. In the letter she apologized and stated she lied to the police and the court about everything that happen because she was mad he didnt want to see her any more and instead was seeing someone else.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: Consult a criminal law attorney about the letter claiming she lied to get him convicted. There may be something that can be done regarding his case. There is also basis to file a protective order or maybe even criminal charges for harassment, and in your case, criminal forgery and interference with US mail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.