San Antonio, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: I did not pay child support to the state but to the mother who moved to mx with my child. Which problems could I face.

I have helped my child I see her all the time when I go to Mexico. She is still in school in Mexico and has a 4 year old daughter who she had at 16. She is now 20 and can assure that I have helped her. Also the mother signed a notarized paper saying that I have made all of my payments to her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joy N Obiselu
Joy N Obiselu
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you have a current child obligation or had a past obligation you need to make sure that these direct payments are recorded properly with the OAG especially if you have an order. The OAG has no way of knowing you made any payments to mom unless someone notifies them of this. Even still direct payments that are not specified in a court order can be construed as a gift and not child support payments at all.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.