Xenia, OH asked in Adoption and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Sibling Adoption Q+A

I am almost 21 years old, I have a job and I am getting ready to move out in may. My younger sister, who is 14, is a homosexual. My parents are extremely religious and when they found out that she was a homosexual, they blocked her off from the world and screamed at her for hours, telling her that she cannot be who she is, ect. She cannot get the emotional support that she needs, and along with that she cannot see a therapist or take medication to help with the problems she has been having. They have been overall been making things harder and harder on her and it is taking a toll on her emotionally and mentally and I would really prefer to take her out of a negative enviroment that makes her depressed where she cannot be comfortable talking to people without backlash happening on the home for days or weeks on end. I would like to attempt to adopt her and I wanted to get a professional opinion on the matter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: To get a professional opinion, use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local attorney who handles adoptions to review all the facts, advise you, and assist you with the process. That is the only way to get any answers of value.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.