Miami, FL asked in Environmental, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Florida

Q: Background story: there was a flood in the upstairs apartment above mine which caused mine to overflow with water up to

my ankles, water ran down from the ceiling and through the walls. My possessions to got damaged, I called the rescue department and they advice me not to pay my tenant until that was resolved and gave me a case #. She took me to court for an eviction, as I was holding on that month's rent. However I continued to pay my rent through the court until it was settled. At the ending they asked me to leave the property by the 31st of January, as that what the landlord wanted and by law she can evict when ever she'd like; I left before that date. She never paid me for my damaged possessions nor did she give me my deposit, claiming I damaged her apartment, even though that was clearly water damage due to the flood. I recently received a document from court stating I owed $482. I don't understand why? As I never missed a rent payment, they have proof and I have not been paid for my damages nor my deposit. Why is this so?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andy Wayne Williamson
Andy Wayne Williamson
  • MIramar Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: sorry for your situation. short answer is that there is just no way to explain why without first reviewing the documents that you reference in your post. Best option is for you to consult with an attorney in your area to go over all the documents and history to make sense of what has and is happening.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.