North Augusta, SC asked in Collections and Social Security for South Carolina

Q: What can I do If I have no money for Doctors, medicine and food after paying credit cards with SS?Can they take my SS?

I am 76 in poor health, walk with a walker. I rent an apt, my car is old but paid for.

No money for Lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Nathan Davis
D. Nathan Davis
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Your Social Security cannot be seized by a creditor to pay a bill. Unfortunately, a creditor may try to seize your money and then you may have to hire an attorney if a creditor does, in fact, seize your money.

You need to contact a local Legal Aid Office near you and schedule an appointment to meet with them. Hopefully, the Legal Aid Office can send letters to your creditors that explain that your only income is Social Security. If the creditor still tries to seize your money, then, the creditor could be sued and be forced to pay money to you for violation of the law. Having it properly documented that your only income is Social Security would probably cause the creditors to not try to seize the money.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.