Columbus, OH asked in Adoption and Family Law for Ohio

Q: About Father rights and adoption

I have full custody of my 1 year old Son . His father doesn't help financially and only calls every now and than . He has sent me a text message saying he was just going to sign his rights away . My boyfriend wants to adopt my Son but cant until my Sons dad sign up his rights . is there away around him having to sign his rights over in order for my boyfriend to adopt my Son or can it be done without my Sons dad giving his rights away . I was never married to my Sons dad

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Father cannot sign away his rights. He has a legal obligation to provide support until there is an adoption. You and your bf would have to be married before the adoption could proceed. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles adoptions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.