Coachella, CA asked in Child Support, Family Law and Tax Law for Nevada

Q: I paid off my entire child support debt, yet my tax return was taken from me.

Hello, I finally paid off my entire child support debt last year after 9 long years! I had to ask them to close it, and meantime my wages were still being garnished until my case was closed, which finally took place in August of 2017. While I waited for it to close, they began sending me checks for the garnishments that we're still taking place. However my Tax return was taken by child support for a debt that I owe them. But when I called the office, they said that I didn't owe them anything and they don't know why my return was taken from me! So what am I suppose to do now, or who can I contact in order to get it back? Cause it's like no one has answers and yet my return is still missing, please help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: I would start by contacting the IRS to make sure that your refund was taken for child support. If it was then you will likely need to go back to child support enforcement with proof that the IRS took the refund for child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.