Wheeling, IL asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: How to meet my child? I got divorce 6 years back and now I came back to US. They are residing in NJ. I am in IL.

I, my wife and our only kid came to US in 2010 on my work visa. We lived here for few months and she called up 911 for DV abuse. There were no charges against me as I did nothing wrong. However, she left home with our child. I went to my country back tried all means to be in touch with them via email/phone. She did not return, so I applied divorce and got it in 2012. The marriage and divorce happened in India. Somehow she agreed to connect with me again on skype/phone/email for some times in last 5 years. I have talked to my child over phone/skype few times in last 5 years by many requests to her. Now recently I got successful to get another work visa and came back to US. I want to see and meet my child. She is avoiding my calls / emails. What is the best way out? She was living here on some Domestic Violence Green Card and married an American Citizen 3 years back. I have found from police that I have no criminal cases/charges against me and nothing was filed against me ever.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question.

I understand your concerns relating to visitation of your child. Since you are back in the US, it would be wise to file a motion to develop a parenting time schedule for the child. Based on a number of factors, parenting time will likely occur, however, there may be a need for a gradual reintroduction period to your child. Based on your circumstances, it would be best to contact an experienced family law attorney to address your specific concerns.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.