Bear, DE asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: How do I get an arrest expunged in Richlands, Virginia, when I now live out of state? The arrest is 21 yeas old?

The charged was nolle processed in 1997, but is on my (NICS) report.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wilfred Yeargan
Wilfred Yeargan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You will need to get a certified copy of the Warrant of Arrest and disposition. If it is no longer available, you will need to get a letter from the court certifying that the records were destroyed. You can then file a petition in the Circuit Court of that county for expungement. As part of the process, you will need to be fingerprinted locally and have the prints mailed to the State Police in Richmond. The petition will need to be served on the Commonwealth Attorney. You can request a Circuit Court hearing on the expungement when the prints are returned to the clerk of court by the State Police.

Contact an experienced expungement lawyer if you need help with the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.