Hartford, CT asked in Bankruptcy for New Jersey

Q: I filed Chpt 13 bankruptcy and want to convert to 7. I included my car and don’t want to leave the debt on cosigner

The only way my co-signer will agree on me converting if he can keep the car and he make payments. Is this possible?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Michael David Siegel

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Probably yes, as the car will be exempt.

Mr. Chad Van Horn

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: Most likely, yes. This will be up to the lien holder, but as long as they remain current on the payments they should be able to keep the car.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.