Lexington, KY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: Can my sons mothers move out of state with my son?

My son is 3 years old, he was born in Virginia and has a VA birth certificate. Last year we relocated to Kentucky due to my career opportunities. My sons mother now wants to take my son and move back to Virginia to live with her family. I have a stable job and home here in KY for my son. My sons mother and I are not married. What are the steps I need to take to make sure I get equal rights to my son and the possibility of her relocating does not hinder my rights and opportunities to spend time with my son?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You need to file a petition for custody and parenting time. If a court has not legally declared you are the father, you will want to include a petition to establish paternity as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.