Baltimore, MD asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Maryland

Q: MVA charging me w/ accumulation of points 5 years after Circuit Court DWI conviction

Convicted of DWI on 02/02/2012 (MVA notified on 12/08/2017 and given 12 points). Did have 1 point added in 2013 for speeding. When the 12 points were added in 2017 from the 2011 offense and 2012 conviction, notice of revocation of license issued by MVA. Going to administrative hearing but is there any statute of limitations on this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: What is the reason for the delay in the notification of the DUI conviction? Ordinarily, upon conviction, the MVA is notified and the points go on fairly quickly, within days or weeks. I have had clients who were charged in one year, but failed to appear on the charges and they remained outstanding with open warrants for ten years, then they were finally caught (or came back to deal with them) and upon conviction, ended up having the points assessed retroactively to the date of the offense (even though the conviction happened 10 years later). The MVA is allowed in those circumstances to issue a suspension/revocation for both the conviction and point accumulation despite the fact that the offense was 10 years ago, but based on the recent conviction. What you describe is different, however. Are you saying DUI conviction was in 2012? Nothing new happened in court in 2017? The MVA can only impose points dating from the date of the offense (not date of conviction or date they were notified), so any points imposed as a result of an offense in 2011 would not appear as active points on your current license, but as points that expired (designated with an asterisk) two years after the date of the offense. If you have current points on your driver's license, then they are not related to the 2012 conviction. If you originally received a PBJ on the DUI in 2012, and were placed on probation, and later violated probation and the court struck the PBJ and entered the conviction in 2017, that would explain the situation, but this is just speculation. I suggest you obtain a complete copy of your driving record (together with any "pbj" record) and take it to a lawyer to review.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.