Asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: Do I need to reapply for my son's green card?

I'm a naturalized us citizen. I had a child in November 2015, who was living in the States with me when I naturalized in March 2017. Because of unforeseen circumstances, he & I had to leave the US soon after I naturalized. Because my husband was not present in the US, nor could he get an appointment in time at the embassy to notarize necessary documents, I could not apply for my son's passport. My son and I left the US in April 2017.

Since then, I have not been able to return. One reason was that my sons physical green card did not arrive until October 2017. (I had given birth abroad and brought him back to the US before the age of 2, but CBP had never sent over his paperwork, and I had to follow up with USCIS to get it done). Another reason is soon after I received his green card, I found out I was expecting and the doctor recommends no travel.

My question is this: if my son doesn't enter before a year since he was last in the states, could they confiscate his green card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Your son is likely already a citizen. He derived it through you when you became a citizen yourself. Proof that he is your son, that you are a citizen, and proof that he obtained permanent residency should be sufficient for him to get a US passport.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.