Baltimore, MD asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania

Q: How should I go about this warrant? Can I get it lifted?

Last year I did this thing online that they said they will pay you for. I received the check in the mail. I went to cash it and the lady at the bank asked me how I got the check . I told her I got it in the mail. She said she needs to verify it. She took a copy of my ID and took my phone number. I never heard from the lady. Now I am being charged and I have a warrant. I live in MD. I work, just rented an apartment, and I have 3 kids. I don’t understand why I have the warrant against me or why I wasn’t contacted by officials to find out about the check. I never knew the check was fake and now I’m scared I will be doing time for it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The only way to get a felony warrant lifted is to appear in front of the issuing authority. They will process you and set bail. Its always a good idea to have local counsel as they can usually arrange to do everything at once which speeds up the process. There is no burden on the Commonwealth to contact you and get your side of the story. They usually do because people invariably dig the hole deeper when they talk to the police. Any conversation you have with anyone about this case should be done through an attorney as they cant use the attorneys words against you. Remember, charged is not the same as convicted, you very well may have defenses or diversion program options that will leave you without a criminal history. The biggest mistake you can make is trying to go it alone. Remember, they can pick you up at any time on a felony warrant so get help soon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.