Boston, MA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Massachusetts

Q: I'm petitioning my college for a refund on room and board — should I ask for more?

I pay $60K/yr at my college. This year, the lock on my dorm has stopped working several times and I've had to pay to get let back in. The residence department did nothing to fix the issue when I contacted them.

Most recently, someone flooded the bathroom upstairs, which in turn flooded my room and many of my belongings. Two hours and no communication until the flooding had stopped. Again, spent my own money washing and drying the brown pipe water off of my bedding & clothes. ResLife never personally reached out to me.

I was told there would be no concern of mold, but I got back from spring break today and my closet ceiling is covered in it. All of this communication is documented, and I've been told by other students that it's happened to them before. I will be contacting the school to ask for a room & board refund, but my question is: should I be asking for more? Is there even a case here?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Only if you develop a problem from the mold. Ask for a meeting with the person in charge of residence halls. If they don't give you one then contact a consumer attorney with the Mass Academy of Trial Attorneys in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.