Edinburg, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: I'm getting married soon and my wife wants to adopt my kids but how would we go about it

There dad is on child support but never pays nor has he ever seen them a day in there life. He's willing to sign up his rights but how do we go about it or how does it work?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Contact a local family law attorney to work with you on the adoption. The attorney will prepare the appropriate documents for the biological father to sign, and prepare the documents needed for the court.

Your spouse will have to submit to a criminal background check and the court will assign a social worker to conduct a study of your living environment.

The process is pretty simple if the father agrees. If he does not agree or changes his mind, it becomes a lawsuit and you have to prove that his rights should be terminated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.