Phoenix, AZ asked in Divorce, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Arizona

Q: I am on a fixed income ssdi and my husband of 32 years works all the time we have been srperated for 18 years he lives.

He lives with this woman for 6 years. He delights in the fact of knowing i really cant afford a lawyer so i contiue to strggle on my disabilty. Tryin to find lawyer i can make small payments to.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You need help to obtain your share of the community property and spousal support from your husband. If you cannot afford a lawyer you should contact Community Legal Services or the State Bar of Arizona Volunteer lawyers program. Either may be able to match you with an attorney who will work without a fee or for a reduced fee. Your lawyer may also be able to collect fees from your husband through the divorce process. Arizona law provides that, in a divorce, the spouse with the greater income will often pay the greater portion of the legal fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.