Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Arizona on
Q: will I get 1/2 of the equity?


I am filing for divorce, we bought a house together under his name only after we had a foreclosure under my name. We were married a year after. we both have always paid 1/2 of the bills and even the down payment for the house was 1/2. we refinance and added my name 3 years ago. I do... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jun 20, 2019

In Arizona you are entitled to 50% of the community assets and responsible for 50% of the community debt unless you have evidence to clearly demonstrate why there should be an inequitable distribution.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: Is it against the law to keep a work of Art & not pay for it? If so, what court would it be if it's within the family?

What statute would it fall under?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 24, 2019

Yes, obtaining "a work of art" and intentionally not paying for it is a crime--called "stealing."

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Arizona on
Q: I am on a fixed income ssdi and my husband of 32 years works all the time we have been srperated for 18 years he lives.

He lives with this woman for 6 years. He delights in the fact of knowing i really cant afford a lawyer so i contiue to strggle on my disabilty. Tryin to find lawyer i can make small payments to.

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Mar 20, 2018

You need help to obtain your share of the community property and spousal support from your husband. If you cannot afford a lawyer you should contact Community Legal Services or the State Bar of Arizona Volunteer lawyers program. Either may be able to match you with an attorney who will work... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Products Liability and Collections for Arizona on
Q: who can help me now that I disputed medical bill balance & they negotiated the check with pmt in full written on it?

A medical office billed for two types of visits on one day, which they didn't perform. I got the bill and have sent them the dispute, called and left messages and then sent check for the one visit, writing pd in full on the check. They cashed it and now sent me a bill adding 32.00 for late fees.... Read more »

William Head
William Head answered on Aug 13, 2017

Your best bet, on such an insignificant claim, is to either sue in small claims court, or turn over the matter to your State consumer protection agency. Double billing can also be a crime, in certain circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Arizona on
Q: Are filing fees paid to the court clerk recoverable as costs under the category "fees of officers" under ARS 12-332?

I received an award in arbitration and the arbitrator directed that I should submit a verified statement of costs, which I did, whereupon the other side served an objection stating that my filing fee costs and mailing costs were not recoverable under ARS 12-332. Is he correct?

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Jan 21, 2016

Filing fees are normally requested as "fees of officers and witnesses" because the clerk of the court is an officer. However, strange things can happen in litigation. Talk to a local lawyer to verify.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.