Fargo, ND asked in Child Support for North Dakota

Q: hello i just recently just had a daughter and me and the mother are sharing custody. Can we not accept support?

We are wondering if we both help support our daughter in every way but dont live together.

We both dont want help from child support and want to do this ourselves and not ask for state help can we?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: If you are going through a custody battle, the second it goes into court there will be child support established. Whether you want it to be established or not will not matter to the court. Why? Because the state considers child support the right of the child, not the parents. The only way to avoid child support ever being established is to never have your case enter a courtroom. Even then, the state also has the right to petition for child support independently. But beware! If child support is established later, somebody might owe back child support. I hope that answers your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.