Weatherly, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My husband and I were drinking, and the next thing I remember was waking up to a pool Of blood with my head cut open.

I instinctively called 9-1-1 and told them I was bleeding and needed help. My husband of course not happy about this, was obviously we must’ve been fighting to the point he hit me. I don’t remember anything leading up the hit nor do I remember being hit. The cops arrested him, I was taken to the hospital and was given 7 staples to my head injury cut.

I did not press charges, nor want any charges against him, but he is currently on unsecured bail and has 5 charges against him.

Is it possible to have these charges taken away? What can I do / say to help take them away completely or at least lower them to misdemeanors etc?

Again I don’t want him prosecuted as I don’t even remember what happened / led up to this.

Also, do I need an attorney?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zak Taylor Goldstein
Zak Taylor Goldstein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There is not much an attorney can do for you, but your husband needs a good one. The police and District Attorney have decided to move forward with the case. You can tell them the truth - you do not know what happened, you could have fallen, you do not want them to pursue charges, and you are not going to testify against your husband. They can, of course, put you on the stand and insist that you testify, but they often do not want to be too aggressive with potential victims. I would really make it clear to the DA that you want them to drop the charges and see what they're willing to do. Your husband needs a good lawyer as sometimes they will try to keep these cases going through hearsay alone until it reaches Common Pleas Court even where they know the complainant is not on board.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.