Omaha, NE asked in Family Law, Criminal Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Dakota

Q: Friend had baby not married to the father. Father took son, & keeping him from her. Don't know where son is. Illegal?

He isn't letting her, see, talk, or know anything of her child well-being. The are unmarried, and both on birth certificate.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory William Liebl
Gregory William Liebl
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fargo, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Like most legal answers, it really depends. What state are they living in? Is there an Order/Judgment in place? In North Dakota, if there isn't anything in place, he has as much of a right to the child as the mother does. That being said, he should not keep the child from her. There are different legal avenues to take to address this issue, which is fairly common. Contact an attorney to follow up on this and how she can handle this situation, legally.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.