Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: Hello I live in Chicago and I have 2 daughters ages 6 and 7 with my ex. He lives in PR. Can I serve him through court?

He's not in asume and child support in chicago isn't working fast enough. I don't have the money to fly to PR to serve him. I want to file a petition here in Chicago.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason L Traub
Jason L Traub

A: If the children were born here in Chicago and he then left the state, you may file a petition to establish him as the father of the children in Cook County. You will then need to contact a "Process Server" in the city/town in which he lives (use Google), call them, and then fax/scan/mail a copy of the Summons and Petition to Establish the Father Child Relationship.

For the Petition and Summons, look up the court forms on Cook County's website. When you go into the clerk's office to file it, they will certify your Summons and petition, which you will then scan/fax/email to the Process Server you previously contacted.

Give the Process server his name, a physical description, make/model of his car, and any other details that will help him identify the father. The Process Server will then "serve" him with the Summons and Petition you filed with the court, and he will have 30 days to either file his Appearance electronically, or hire local counsel in Chicago to file one for him.

And then.. off you go..!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.