Lynnwood, WA asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Washington

Q: My girlfriend is having issues with her ex to pay his half stated in the parenting plan of child care.

Her ex when she let's him know he's suppose to pay half of child care tells her to take him to court what are he options since she can't afford an attorney and the parenting plan is 5 yrs old and his montly payment is $500 for three children. How should she go about taking care of this to ensure he pays his proper share for their children

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrekita Silva
Andrekita Silva
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: She can contact DCS (Division of Child Support) and ask that they collect for her. Although all past due child support bears interest, they will not collect that for her. It can take DCS a long time but they will do this for her at no charge.

If EX has a job, she should consider hiring a lawyer. If EX owes 5 years of back child care, an attorney can have that back daycare plus all accrued interest reduced to a judgment. If a judgment is entered, your girlfriend will be entitled to an award of legal fees.

Once your girlfriend has a judgment, if EX has a job and a bank account, his bank account can be garnished. He will probably start paying his share after that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.