Lancaster, SC asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for South Carolina

Q: My soon to be 4 yr old son's biological father has never been present in his life. He didnt sign the birth certificate.

But he does pay child support only when his freedom is in jeopardy. My son doesnt know him let alone as his father. My fiance however wants to legally adopt him place his name on the birth certificate and give my son his last name. This is the man my son knows as daddy. How do i go about getting the biological father's rights taken?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: The father may be willing to sign a consent to relinquish his parental rights in turn for the dismissal of his child support obligation. Alternatively, the grounds to terminate parental rights is if the father has failed to visit or support the child for six months, but the failure to visit or support cannot be because you prevented visitation or support. You will need a lawyer to help you with a consent or a termination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.