Charlestown, RI asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island

Q: I was charged with position of alcohol as a minor at 17 I am now 18 what am I looking at in terms of trouble

this is also my first offense no prior's other than a speeding ticket

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allison Abilheira
Allison Abilheira
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Warren, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: The answer to this question depends upon where you are being required to go to court. If you are required to go to District Court- you have been charged with a misdemeanor. You will face a fine of one hundred fifty dollars ($150) to seven hundred fifty dollars ($750), community service, and a license suspension of up to sixty (60) days. However, if you are required to go to Municipal Court- you have been charged with a civil violation of a City or Town ordinance. Normally this punishment will only include a fine and will not result in a criminal record.

If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you may consider hiring an attorney who can fight these charges and push to have the charge dismissed and ultimately expunged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.