Cleveland, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: What is the possible outcome for marrying my fiance on a valid travel visa?

I am a US Citizen located in Ohio. My fiance and I have been together for about 2 years. He was in the states on an L1 work visa and hated his job and decided to quit. We had discussed the option of getting married to stay together but with the time constraint he had to leave within 60 days to stay in status. He is in Brazil now and I want to know if I get him to come back to visit and propose to him and get married within a couple months of him visiting would it be likely considered fraud even though we have been together and he wouldnt know my intentions on this proposal? I know there is the K1 option but what is the overall timeline in that? What options do I have to get him here to propose and possibly plan a ceremony all in the same 3-4 month visit. I am aware of the 30-60-90 rule and would not consider doing it before the 60 day mark at least.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yanky Perelmuter
Yanky Perelmuter
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Overland Park, KS

A: The K1 visa is your best option for having your fiance join you here in the United States. You can apply for the K1 and then when he arrives you will get married within 90 days of his entry. It is important to know that getting married is considered a legitimate activity on a visitor visa.

Regarding options, it is best to speak with a competent immigration attorney to go over all the different scenarios.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.