Jackson, OH asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Public Benefits for Ohio

Q: Do I have to give a 30 day notice to a group home & pay rent if it's not in the rental contract?

I am the Guardian of my brother. My brother suffers from mental illness & has been residing at a group home since June 2017. I have evidence that the owners of the group home has stolen money from my brother. His rent is $1100.00/month. The rental contract does not call for a 30-day-notice upon departure. If I move my brother out before April, do I have to pay rent, or can I put the money in escrow? He is currently in the hospital.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Put the money is escrow and prepare for a fight, if you don't want to pay it. The law will generally imply a month-to-month lease if the specifics are not spelled out in the agreement and go from there. That means 30 days notice will usually be included essentially as customary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.