Ohio Public Benefits Questions & Answers

Q: Do I have to give a 30 day notice to a group home & pay rent if it's not in the rental contract?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 30, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
Put the money is escrow and prepare for a fight, if you don't want to pay it. The law will generally imply a month-to-month lease if the specifics are not spelled out in the agreement and go from there. That means 30 days notice will usually be included essentially as customary.

Q: If you lose an appeal with ODJFS, can you file suit in Common Pleas Court?

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 30, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer

Q: Legally responsible?

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 9, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer
Come after you for what? It sounds to me like a form meant to determine this individuals financial need.

Q: Is just possession an EBT card a f5?traffic ended in searched then card found? No attemp of transactions in any way

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 1, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer
Having someone else's cards is usually an F-5, yes. See http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2913.46

Q: If you have a civil suit filed against you for a bill you owe and you are on social security can they touch your money?

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Aug 4, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Once it hits the bank they can touch that once they get a judgment. You don't want the civil suit to go to judgment. If you have insurance and they gave you a lawyer I wouldn't worry--it'll be a while before anything threatening will happen and you'll have lots of notice.

Q: I currently have a warrant for contempt on non support but i have recently filed for ssi is it possible for the courts t

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Apr 25, 2016
Matthew Williams' answer
They aren't just going to dismiss the warrant. You will need to address it directly. The fact that you cannot pay the ordered support may help you, but the longer you stay out with a warrant, the less the judge will be inclined to leniency.

Q: I'm 17 my boyfriend is 20 his family is in Mississippi he live with me in Ohio we are planning a trip to Mississippi

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 18, 2016
Matthew Williams' answer
You cannot go to Mississippi without your parents' consent. Unless your boyfriend molested your father, he cannot charge him with GSI. Read the statute: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2907.05

Q: Im 16 years old and have a 6 month old is it possible to move out?

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Jul 29, 2015
Matthew Williams' answer
Only with your parent's permission.

Q: I have a complaint against ohio public employees retirement systems

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Dec 29, 2014
Matthew Williams' answer
Honestly, if you cannot find an attorney who wants the case, it's because the case is a loser. Contact any union or civil service association you belong(ed) to and see if they keep a lawyer on staff, many do.


1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Ohio on
Answered on Jun 3, 2012
Jake Causing Santos' answer
Based on your question, I think you are trying to say that your girlfriend's income is being counted by Social Security to reduce your SSI benefit in some way.

There are certain situations when SSI benefits are reduced. For example, if your girlfriend is paying for part or all of your food and/or shelter, then SSI can be reduced under the in-kind support and maintenance rules. The way to avoid such a reduction is to make sure you pay your full share of your own food and shelter and...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.