Big Spring, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Hi I'm the custodial parent for my son. for the past 3 years going on 4 years. I tried to put her on child support. But

I've tried putting her on child support but she wants to go to court and fight for full custody, even though shes neglected him in the past and has been very inconsistent with calling my son and she never visits him. Is it possible for her to actually achieve full custody?? And when I say neglected she didn't contact him for 8 months straight. I would think that's abandonment? She lives with her parents again, and NOW she wants to see him. Please help me I need some advice on what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If she files anything, contact a local family law attorney right away. In the meantime, keep good records of her contact with your son and any other information you might need if you had to go to court.

Texas courts prefer that children have the opportunity to establish a relationship with both parents. Therefore, a judge would likely give her some sort of possession schedule if she does not have one.

Possession and child support are two separate issues, but sometimes when you file for child support, the other party will ask for primary custody. Given her track record, she would probably not be successful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.