New York, NY asked in Traffic Tickets and Identity Theft for New York

Q: I am being denied a police report from my local precinct and being told that I must file somewhere else. Is this lawful?

My drivers license was stolen (I have a police report and a DMV report for this) and recently used as ID in a car accident that I was not a part of. I obtained the Police Accident Report for this wreck then went to my local NYPD 78th Precinct to report this instance. The officers on duty said that they could not write a report at my local precinct. They said that in order to get a police report for my stolen ID, I would have to travel to the police precinct from which the original Police Accident Report was written. I would have to find the officer that wrote the Police Accident Report while he was on duty and have him amend that original report. They said that after he amended the report, then he could file an identity theft report for me, and he was the only person that could do this. I was then told that this officer only works midnight until 7am (they did not give me exact days) at a precinct that is an hour and a half from my house. Is this lawful?

1 Lawyer Answer
Zev Goldstein
Zev Goldstein
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Getting a police report changed is difficult. You may want to start with filing a police report that your identity was used by someone other than yourself. If the matter is investigated, that officer will be in a position to request that the accident report be corrected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.