Blue Ridge, GA asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: How do I find out the status of a felony charge in Manhatten?

I was accused of a crime in NYC a few years ago. I was assigned a public defender, but they stop corresponding and, stupidly, I did not follow up with the lawyer or court. I need to find out what happened, as it could have been dropped (which is my hope), or the case could have gone forward in my absence and there could be an arrest warrant. What is the best way to find out the status? If hiring a lawyer is needed, what is the best way to do that since I now live in a different state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald Steven Nir
Ronald Steven Nir
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Kew Gardens, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you have been absent and failed to go to court there could be a warrant for your arrest. You should contact your public defender as to the status or in NYC you can also check your information online through the webcrims search. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.